2007年12月18日星期二

A Review Of The 2006 Yamaha Raptor 700

One weekend at Gordons Well (Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area), I had the opportunity to take a ride on a 2006 Yamaha Raptor 700, and Oh My God! That quad is one of the best I've ever ridden. I typically drive a VW short travel sand rail with a 2276cc motor, which has all the power I need to go just about anywhere in the dunes, but it doesn't have the suspension to go on hard pack or to jump.

Lately I've been considering buying another dirt bike so I would have more versatility than I do with the rail. I have a Suzuki DR350 Enduro but can't really ride that in the dunes. Last weekend I had what was quite possibly the second best weekend at the dunes in my entire life.

I got to follow behind Cardiac Dan, his 11 year old daughter Cassy, and Big Mike, (my eldest son's teacher's husband who's been riding all his life). Dan rides the Raptor 700, and his daughter rides a Suzuki 400. Mike brought a Banshee and a Warrior 350, I rode the Warrior.

I was able to keep up on the Warrior for the most part, and it was a real pleasure to follow Cassy who had no problem keeping up with her dad. In fact she was able to go a couple places I couldn't on the smaller, less powerful machine.

Anyway, on the tail end of one of the "experienced only" rides we did, Dan let me ride the Raptor for a while. It was like riding in an easy chair on a rail with a jet pack strapped to the back. I was literally yelling and laughing under my helmet, at times throwing my arms up in the air and cheering at myself because of the rush I got from that quad. I decided (before I got off the Raptor) that another dirt bike was not in my immediate future. I'll be picking up a Raptor this coming summer.

Here are some specs for the 2006 700cc Yamaha Raptor

Engine Type: 686cc liquid-cooled, SOHC 4-stroke single w/fan, 4-valve
Bore x Stroke: 102mm x 84mm
Compression Ratio: 9.2:1
Carburetion: Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI), 44mm
Ignition: Digital TCI w/16-Bit ECU
Starting System: Electric
Transmission: 5-Speed manual clutch w/reverse
Drive Train: 2WD; sealed o-ring chain, eccentric adjustment
Suspension/Front: Independent double wishbone, 9.1" travel w/piggy back with high/low speed compression, rebound and threaded preload adjustment
Suspension/Rear: Cast aluminum swingarm, 10.1" travel w/piggy back with high/low speed compression, rebound and threaded preload adjustment
Brakes/Front: Dual ventilated hydraulic discs, twin pistons
Brakes/Rear: Ventilated hydraulic disc, self adjusting park brake function
Tires/Front: AT21x7-10 radial
Tires/Rear: AT20x10-9 radial
L x W x H: 72.6" x 46.1" x 44.5"
Seat Height: 32"
Wheelbase: 50.4"
Ground Clearance: 4.4"
Fuel Capacity: 2.9 gal.
Dry Weight: 396 lb.
Lighting: Dual 30W Krypton multireflector headlights & 3.9/0.5W brake light